Apple , Onion & Mint Dip
Incorporating lots of quercitin rich foods with a delightful summer flavour – a really versatile dip or spread with anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory rich foods.
Quercitin is rich in apples, onions, broccoli, peppers, dark coloured fruits and is a food component are known as a flavonoid. This is a naturally occurring compound that not only shows powerful anti-inflammatory properties but also flavourably react in inflammatory processes in the body at specific points in the inflammatory cycle and can help to arrest chronic imflammation.
Inflammation is one of the body’s defense mechanisms that guards against infection and helps heal injury, however research shows that uncontrolled long term inflammation can result in cancer. Recent research also shows that bioactive food components can modify the inflammatory process, reduce cancer progression and support the body to become more resilient.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 200gms cashew nuts soaked for 2 hours
- ½ medium red onion or 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 apple cored
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Drain the soaked cashews and place in a tall jug
- Add all the other ingredients and blitz to a smooth paste
- Serve with celery, pepper and carrot sticks