Apple & Rhubarb Crumble Flapjacks –
Apples are a wonderful food – packed with nutrients that support good Gut health and if you can’t eat them raw then cooked generally suites most people – see my Apple Blog
These flapjacks combine the wonderful taste of Spring rhubarb with the sweetness of apple and adding seeds to the whole oats gives some Omega 3 oils and zinc along with the some protein to help stabilise blood sugar – a cake with a healthy twist.
- 1 large Bramley apples or 2 dessert apples – cored and chopped
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or molasses sugar
- 2 stalks of fresh rhubarb – chopped into 1 inch peices
- 1 cm ginger root – chopped very finely
- 75gms coconut oil
- 250gms whole rolled oats
- 60gms pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp apple juice
- Cook the apples with the rhubarb with 1 tbsp maple syrup and the chopped ginger until soft
- Roughly blitz the cooked fruit with a hand blender
- Blitz the seeds and the oats to a large powdered mix in a Magmix or a similar food processor or a Nutri bullet.
- Melt the coconut oil over a low heat
- Add 1 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tbsp apple juice to the coconut oil and and then stir into the oat and seed mix to make a crumble consistency.
- Firmly press half the mixture into a lined 7inch shallow square cake tin or similar
- Spread the fruit mix on the top
- Sprinkle the crumble mix onto the top to cover the fruit
- Bake for 30 mins at 170C.
- Leave in the tin to cool in the fridge before cutting into flapjack size peices
- Store in the fridge for 4-5 days