A great Autumn detox. soup –
For the beautiful colour of Autumn try this easy and tasty beetroot soup. Beetroot contains betalains which have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detox properties. These compounds assist the production of detoxification enzymes.
Beets also contain nitrates which can help to relax the arteries and this can reduce blood pressure see study results.
Lemons are so good to use every day – they help maintain a balanced pH and stimulate bile production to aid detoxification
Apples are a great fruit, wonderful to eat, they also contain amazing nutrients for health and they encourage the production of detoxification enzymes.
Your Grandmother knew: ‘An Apple a Day Keeps the Dr Away’
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 medium beetroot
- 2 apples (cox are good for flavour)
- 1 large onion
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 600ml vegetable stock – (using 1 tsp Marigold Bouillon)
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- Zest the lemon and then squeeze
- Finely slice the onion
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan & lightly fry the onions, cumin seeds and zest on a low heat – add a little water to steam fry (this keeps the temperature down and reduces damage to the oil)
- Chop the beetroot and apple into chunks
- Add to the pan with the stock and cook for about 10 minutes
- Blitz and add the lemon and season to taste
To make a meal of this soup add a can of butter beans (rinsed well) before blitzing