Autumn and winter are great for soups and to support your immune health it is great to include lots of foods that have an abundance of beta carotene. These are the orange coloured vegetables and fruits, so squash, pumpkin, carrots etc. and they make wonderful warming soups.
This soup is very easy to do and takes very little time. A good hand blender will whiz all the ingredients together once cooked and in about 30 minutes you can have a great tasting satisfying lunch. Lentils provide a good protein and are brilliant for keeping blood sugar stable. The turmeric has wonderful anti-inflammatory properties and adds a lovely colour and sea vegetables add some good iodine, a nutrient that is often low in Western diets.
Do your health a favour with an immune supporting soup for your lunch – take it in a flask to work and enjoy a heart-warming meal.
Ingredients Serves 8
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 700gms organic carrots roughly chopped
- 200gm red lentils
- 1 tsp turmeric
- A handful or bunch of fresh marjoram (chopped finely) or 2 heaped tsp. dried
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 pints or 1.5 ltrs chicken broth stock or vegetable stock with 2 tsp Marigold low salt or organic bouillon
- 2 tsp yeast flakes (optional)
- 2 tsp ‘Green Nori Sprinkle’ – sea veg. condiment (optional)
- Seasoning to taste – sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over a low heat and gently fry the sliced onions until cooked (about 5 mins) – add a little water or stock to steam fry.
- Add the lentils, carrots, stock, marjoram, turmeric, and garlic and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer over a low heat for 25 minutes
- Add seasoning, yeast flakes and Green Nori Sprinkle and stir through
- Blitz the soup with a hand blender to the consistency you like
- Season to taste
Serve with a swirl of coconut cream, Oatley cream or dairy cream
For nutritional help with health issues