Cranberry and lentil soup is a great for the festive season or for any time of the year.
Cranberries in supermarkets are often sweetened so look at the label – try healthfood stores or Waitrose for unsweetened or less sugar laden ones or you can buy fresh. Cranberries are rich in antioxidants and are well known for their urinary tract benefits and they have a wealth of nutrients like vitamin C, E and fibre.
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped or pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 ½ teaspoon of dried mixed herbs (thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram or any mix of these) or a small handful of fresh herbs chopped – optional
- 100 gms of dried cranberries
- 250gms lentils (rinsed)
- 3pts water adding 4 teaspoons of Marigold bouillon stock powder or 3 pts chicken stock/broth from bones – add more water for a thinner soup.
Seasoning to taste – sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and gently fry the chopped onions and garlic until cooked (about 5 mins) – add a little water to steam fry.
- Add all the other ingredients apart from the cranberries and cook for 20minutes until the sweet potato is soft
- Add the cranberries and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Blitz using a hand blender or food processor to the desire consistency – leaving some chunks
- Season to taste