Carrot and Walnut Muffins:
are a delightful wholesome, gluten and dairy free muffin with a twist of decadence. Ground almonds make a lovely moist alternative to flour and ideal for a gluten free option. The walnuts provide some good Omega 3 oils and the eggs and carrot provide vitamin A to support a healthy Gut lining. The oil and protein from the nuts makes these muffins a good treat because they will not spike the blood sugar – blood sugar stabilisation is a very important part of managing female hormone health.
Cinnamon has a reputation for many health giving properties not least supporting blood sugar balance and it makes food taste sweeter without adding sugar!
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 140 gms ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 50gms chopped walnuts
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 75 gms coconut oil, melted
- 80 gms maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 gms grated carrots
- 100gms 85% chocolate melted for drizzling over the top
Heat oven to 175C and line a muffin tin with 8 muffin cases
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients – Set this aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the dry mix to the wet mix just until combined and then gently fold in the grated carrots and walnuts.
- Divide the batter evenly among the liners and bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
These can be frozen