Veggies Taste – Make them taste even better by:
adding some additional flavours. The recipes below give you some great ideas and then experiment yourself until you have a wealth of tastes you enjoy.
Fill half you plate at main meals with a variety of veggies of the sort that grow above the ground and this will provide lots of rich nutrients for health and weight management.
Cauliflower with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Break cauliflower head into florets and steam for 8 mins
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped sundried tomatoes either from a jar in olive oil or dried from a packet
- Steam for a further 3 mins and grate some black pepper over – for a little added flavour toss in a small knob of butter.
Broccoli and Harissa Paste
- Break broccoli head into florets and steam for 10 mins
- Add 1 tablespoons of harissa paste and again for a little added flavour toss in a small knob of butter or drizzle of olive oil.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Red Onions and Red Peppers
- Cut into quarters or approx. 4 cms pieces unpeeled, washed, sweet potato, cut into quarters red pepper, peeled red onions and 3 cloves of garlic chopped.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and toss through with a tablespoon of olive oil or melted coconut oil
- Cook in a 170C oven for 30 mins until the sweet potato is soft when tested with a fork
Sugar Snap Peas with Chopped Mint
Steam sugar snap peas for 5 minutes add a handful of chopped mint leaves and stir in a small knob of butter and serve
Kale with Basil Pesto
- Break kale into approx. 5 cm pieces or buy ready prepared and steam for 5 minutes – test for softness and try not to cook until the beautiful green colour is lost.
- Toss a tablespoon of a good pesto through the cooked kale and freshly grated black pepper.
- A tablespoon of orange juice and a drizzle of walnut oil is also nice as an alternative.
Red Cabbage with Onions and Bramley Apple
- Melt a knob or butter in a pan
- Finely shred red cabbage and onions and add to the pan
- Toss the oil through the cabbage and onion and lightly fry and then add a little (2 tablespoons) water or stock
- Add cut up apple (but not peeled), either a dessert apple or a Bramley if a little tartness is desired
- Steam fry lightly for about 5 minutes – you can add a lid to the pan for more softness and cook a little longer if a softer veg is preferred. Don’t over cook and lose all the nutrients
- Season with some grated black pepper.
Cabbage and Toasted Seeds
- Lightly toast a mix of seeds – pumpkin, sunflower and flaxseeds or chopped cashew nuts, in a heavy bottom pan.
- To do this you wipe the pan with a little olive oil, add the seeds and toast on a medium heat until they are lightly brown. Don’t leave them because the oils and seeds will burn easily and spoil the good Omega oil content of the seeds. Stir several times while toasting to prevent burning
- Shred cabbage finely and steam for about 8 minutes.
- Mix the seeds and cooked cabbage together with a small knob of butter and a little sea salt to taste (about ½ teaspoon)