Red Cabbage Salad with Feta Cheese ( as served at the Mood Food Evening in January)
Red Cabbage is full of anti-oxidants, is high in glucosinolates which are sulphur containing compounds that support the detoxification pathways and all the brassica vegetables are rich in these and anti-oxidant compounds – these vegetables and watercress and rocket should be part of the daily diet to gain all sorts of health benefits.
The sunflower seeds and the feta cheese provide a rich source of tryptophan which is converted to serotonin – the happy hormone. The sunflower seeds are a good source of healthy fats which are much needed for the healthy functioning of the brain.
Ingredients for Red Cabbage Salad
- 1/2 large red cabbage
- 150gms feta cheese crumbled
- 1 apple diced (to stop browning ensure the apple is incorporated with the dressing quickly after cutting)
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- 1 tblsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil or substitute 2 tblsp with 2tblsp of cold pressed flaxseed oil
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together until well mixed
- Shred the red cabbage very finely
- Dice the apple
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly so the crumbled cheese is well mixed into the salad.
This can be eaten as a complete light meal or served with a green salad and the lentil dahl (as at the January Mood Food Evening)