Serves 4 (approx. 10GL per serving)
Spring Herb Chickpea Feast:
is a great dish of delicious fresh spring herbs, blended with the aromatic spices of the East. Herbs and spices have wonderful health benefits and many of the volatile oils they contain have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties. This easy dish uses a basic tomato base sauce, with lightly marinated chickpeas on a bed of lightly steamed cauliflower and some delicious local asparagus.
Asparagus also has so many wonderful health properties and not least good sulphur compounds that aid healthy detoxification pathways.
- 400gms chickpeas either 2 tins (drained and rinsed) or soaked and cooked from dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil (cold pressed virgin)
- 1 tbsp tamari (optional)
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 4 – 5 mushrooms sliced
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp Swiss vegetable bouillon
- 1 medium cauliflower steamed lightly for 5 minutes and then crumbled into small pieces using a fork – raw cauliflower grated or crumbled is also very tasty.
- 1 large tbsp chopped fresh thyme and marjoram and or parsley (save a little for decoration)
- himalayan rock salt and ground black pepper
- In a large bowl mix the chickpeas with 1 tbsp of olive oil and tamari and then add the tumeric, coriander, cinnamon and cumin. Add some ground black pepper and a little rock salt and stir well to coat. Set aside to marinate for about 30 minutes. If you do this first it will marinate lightly while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Lightly fry the onions in 1 tbsp of olive oil, at a low temperature for 5 minutes and then add the carrot and mushroom and tinned tomatoes
- Cook for 10 minutes and add the herbs, garlic, bouillon and cook on a low heat for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and using a hand blender blitz the mix to a sauce of the consistency you like
- Add the chickpeas and warm through for approx. 5 minutes on a low heat
- Place the crumbled cauliflower onto the plate and grind a little pepper and salt over.
- Spoon the chickpea mix over the cauliflower and serve with steamed asparagus rolled lightly in butter
Serve and enjoy