Tomato Sauce – Ketchup Alternative
Treat the kids and save their teeth and their health with this simple tomato sauce recipe to create your very own homemade ketchup.
This amazingly easy recipe will use your excess Summer tomatoes, delight the family and is the best alternative to sugar laden ketchup making it the perfect alternative for children!
This tomato sauce recipe will keep in the fridge for a week and is great to freeze for later. Use on pasta with cheese, pour over burgers, eat with egg dishes, enhance a lentil loaf – add flavour to those dishes that cry out for tomato sauce!
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene which is a carotenoid with high anti-oxidant benefits. They are rich in vitamin C especially in the Summer, when eaten straight from the plant and we all need vitamin C to keep healthy – especially our cells and arteries.
- 800gms fresh tomatoes or 2 x 400gms tins
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 1 clove garlic – chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut fresh tomatoes in chunks
- Lightly fry the chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil over a low temperature
- Add all the ingredients and cook on a low heat for approx. 15 mins
- Blitz to the desired consistency with a hand blender
- Season to taste
Just enjoy the bounty of Summer with this fantastic healthy ketchup alternative!